These events are optional and extra and are NOT a part of the normal Pittsburgh Public Schools’ Summer Dreamers events. Families are invited to participate in the following community events on your own. No transportation is provided by PPS. Questions should be sent to Coach Mark Rauterkus, 412-298-3432, (cell) or Mark@Rauterkus.com.
Downtown Parade for Pittsburgh’s Bicentennial down Liberty Avenue, Saturday, July 9, 2016. Arrive after 10 am. Parade begins at 11 am. After the parade, play aquatic games at Northside, Citiparks’ Sue Murray Swim Pool, Cedar Avenue, across from the Giant Eagle / Sunoco gas station.
Tip: Our parade position and meet-up is going to be at Liberty Ave and 11th Street. We will meet behind a school bus that is to be decorated for PPS and the Pittsburgh Promise.
Tip 2: Park your car, if you drive, near CAPA or else on the Northside by the swim pool. then walk to Liberty Avenue and 11th, near the Strip District.
Swimmers from Summer Dreamers with Athletes United for Clean Air are going to march with Pittsburgh Public Schools and the Pittsburgh Promise to celebrate the city’s history.
Update: Due to parade protocol, the message for the parade is about Pittsburgh Public Schools and Summer Dreamers — and not about, “Go USA! Go Leah!”
Olympic schedule insights:
Cheer for Leah Smith and Katie Ledecki as they race together in Rio on:
- Sunday, August 7th – women’s 400m freestyle prelims/final
- Wednesday, August 10th – women’s 800m freestyle relay prelims/final
- Thursday, August 11th – women’s 800m freestyle prelims
- Friday, August 12th – women’s 800m freestyle finals
- Prelims begin at 10 am EASTERN time while Semis & Finals begin at 7 pm EASTERN.
More Swimming, Water Polo and SKWIM opportunities in Pittsburgh this summer:
- Tuesdays, 6 to 7:30 pm, Citiparks Ammon Rec Pool, Bedford & Memory Lane, Hill District
- Wednesdays, 6 to 7:30 pm, Citiparks Ammon Rec Pool, Bedford & Memory Lane, Hill District
- Thursdays, 6 to 7:30 pm, Citiparks Sue Murray Pool, Cedar Ave. Northside
* Additional events always published at the open google calendar at CLOH.org.